background

Friday, June 28, 2013

Welcome to the Sister hood!

So you are going to be a Sister Missionary?!?!?!!!! HOW EXCITING!!!!

Have you joined the Many are called....but few are sisters page yet? Well if not you should!

The page is a great place to meet sisters planning on serving missions, or even serving in the same mission as you. You can pose questions and get awesome responses, and you can be inspired like crazy!

There are a few things that are repeated constantly on the page so I thought I would cover as much of the FAQ's as possible!

1. Check out the guidelines for dress and appearance, they can be found here!

2. MAXI DRESSES/SKIRTS
Yes I know they are oh so cute, but if you want to wear them you will have to hem them so they are not floor length and follow the guidelines. TID BIT- I hear they trap in heat!! So be ware, and be wise :)

3. Having a hard time finding long skirts??
There is a File for that! On the many are called... but few are sisters page of course. You can check it out here!  Also if you have a skirt that is too short an idea is to add some fabric to the bottom. A cute example of this is...here on pintrest! Don't add lace to the bottom or get the slip extenders!!! The ladies at the MTC do NOT like this! They think its unprofessional (I personally think they are cute, but I'll do as I'm told.).

4. Cap sleeves.........
So those lovely downeast basic shirts are fabulous! However, we have been asked to not wear them, not because they don't cover garments, but because they are too tight, and they do not look as professional as we should, ya know being representatives of Christ and what not! I do, however, recommend them to increase modesty with whatever shirts you desire to wear!

5. Shoes!!!!
You have to decide what is most important to you when choosing shoes. Some girls choose style over comfort, some comfort over style, and some a good mixture of the two. I just recommend that you pick good quality shoes that will last you.

Many girls have recommended these following sites...
Naturalizer
Bornshoes
Rockport
Sofftshoe
Hushpuppies

6. Garments
This one I can't give you a straight answer... I believe this one depends a bunch on your personal preferences! I think you should also take into deep consideration where you will be serving. The ladies at the distribution centers are very helpful. If you don't have that option, ask the ladies who live in the mission you will be serving in their opinions... they can be super helpful!

7. Going through the temple for the first time.
Don't sweat it. Everyone's experience is different, the best advice I could give would be to go in with an open mind. Many girls have great advice about this and it is good to ask and read the different advice people give every once in a while.

8. BLOGS BLOGS BLOGS!
I love reading other sister missionary blogs along with writing them! There is a list in the Docs on the Many are called....but few are sisters page that includes many links to sister missionary blogs, and you can look up blogs of girls serving in the area you will be. Posting a link to your blog is always fun and a great way to share your opinions and insights.

9. Trials and struggles.
This is a great place to get support and help!!! Just be careful to not disclose others information that they wouldn't want out there.

10.BOYS, BOYFRIENDS and WHAT NOT!
I wrote a blog which I clearly stated my opinions on this already check it out at Awkward Flirting with Afton! There is also a really good blog about it called Romance and Mission Prep.

11. Luggage
Check out ROSS!!!! I got brand new stuff for cheap and it's cute! Also Costco has some for a pretty good prices I hear!
Need help packing that luggage? Check out the movie!
MISC...
When in doubt check out the files tab at the top of the page, there are many useful things here! Also there is a search tool (it's actually not working as I'm writing this, but hopefully Facebook fixes is soon!)

I hope that this helps you navigate the Many are called....but few are sisters Facebook page, and preparation for becoming a sister missionary in general!

Good luck Ladies!
Love,
Afton Michelle






2 comments:

  1. Can I ask where you got your boots?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got them at a place called 2 Love in Provo Towne Centre mall in Utah! :)

      Delete