background

Monday, July 8, 2013

My Sis Miss Threads

So previously I gave some advice on how to buy clothes for your mission, if you missed here you can see it under dressing for my adventure!

Any who.... I decided to post some of the outfits that I have been able to put together before I have to pack them up to take off on WEDNESDAY!!!

I think I will begin with a series I'd like to call 1 shirt 7 Skirts.
This series will feature (in order) 1 pink button up shirt from Downeast, one navy blue skirt made by my momster, one black and white polka-dot skirt from Dress barn, one black and white hounds tooth (I think that is what it is called) skirt made by me, a white and royal blue square patterned skirt made also by me, a black pencil skirt from unknown (sorry!), a floral skirt made by me as well, and a stretchy grey pencil skirt also from Downeast.
 Navy Skirt by my mom
 Polka Dot skirt from Dress barn

 Black and white hounds tooth made by me!

 blue square skirt by me as well!

 Black skirt from unknown

 floral skirt made by me!

Grey pencil skirt from Down east

 You see the moral of the story is that you should look for things that can be worn multiple ways. If I buy a shirt and skirt that only match each other you really begin to limit your options!

This next series I would like to call... one tan shirt takes on the world!
The featured tan shirt is a basic shell shirt from Forever 21! Also featured is a floral skirt from Dress barn, orange blazer from Papaya, tan jacket from Dress barn, plaid skirt from Seagull book, previously featured floral skirt made by your truely, a scarf I got from Belgium, the previously featured black pencil skirt, a cute lacey jacket from Forever 21, a pink blazer from H&M, and the previously featured navy skirt made by my lovely mother.
 Cream shell shirt from Forever 21, Skirt from Dress Barn

The addition of an orange blazer from Papaya 

 Tan jacket from Dress barn

 Plaid skirt from Seagull book

 Again the lovely floral skirt that I made

 Scarf from Belgium and unknown black pencil skirt



 The addition of a lacey jacket from Forever 21

 Pink blazer from H&M

Navy skirt my mother made

 Just by adding a few things like jackets or scarfs you can really make your wardrobe work for you! You can also see that I reused some of the items that were previously listed, really allowing me to make my wardrobe go further.

Next is a little number called the sprint of mint (although it may look a little aqua).
This lovely shirt was bought at Dress barn. It is accompanied by my floral skirt I made, a pleated skirt from Forever 21, and lastly the previously featured tan jacket and floral skirt both from Dress barn.

 I picked out this floral print to make a skirt with because it has many different colors that could work with it, for example... pink, white, yellow, green, and mint. It's very versatile! It is also a very light weight fabric which is perfect for me since I'm headed to Florida! The lovely thing about making your own skirts is that you can control many things that you can't when you buy all of your clothes from a store. 
 Skirt from Forever21

 See how far one shirt can go!

Next I have a picture of a polka-dot shirt from Dress barn.

This next white button up shirt was actually found at Wal-mart. Sometime you just have to keep your eyes open for some good opportunities!
 This following picture is of a dress that my mom actually wore when she was in high school. This is just to show ya that there may be hidden treasures in thrift shops, just lucky for me my mom held onto it!

Now for some more advice!
I love belts, they can really help bring an outfit together. I would suggest that you get three basic colors of belts... tan (really light brown color), brown (this one should be more dark brown) and black. Belts are also great because they can hide some of our problem areas when worn properly!

Really make sure that each piece of your wardrobe can function with other items. This will allow you to have more variety when you are out in the field.

Some of the colors and patterns I have are a bit brighter, but that is because I'm headed to a more tropical place. Also many of my fabrics are very light weight and very breathe able (thank you lovely humidity!)

I think I will post a tutorial of how to make a simple skirt (so simple that I made 3!). If you can cut and sew a straight line then this skirt is perfect for you and will help ya save a little dinero! If you can't sew yourself (or your mom), then I say hey ask a sister in the ward! They seem to always be asking you if there is anything they can do to help, how about asking them to make a skirt!

SHOES!
Shoes are very important as you will be walking a ton and on your feet constantly.
Naturalizer Women's Noland Shoe
I have these lovely naturalizers from Famous Footwear. Right now they are actually 50% off and they even come in black!!!

I also have a pair of Eurosteps also from Famous Footwear. I know some of you may think they are they stereotypical sister missionary shoes, but that is for a reason, because they rock!
Eurostep Women's Jenna Shoe
My lovely bag is actually from JCPenny's. I liked to be able to see my bag before I bough it. I took with me my mini preach my gospel, my journal, my quad, and a water bottle, they all fit in there nicely and there was even some spare room for another Book of Mormon.

For Jewelry I tried to stick with the basics.
I have a pair of pear earrings, silver earrings, and gold earrings.
The same goes for necklaces, pearl, silver, and gold. I figure I have the basics and can match anything I have. I do have some other fun items to take as far as jewelry goes, but I didn't really make that my biggest priority.

The best advice I can think of when shopping for your clothes is to not shop frustrated  This will lead to frustrated buying, which means you probably don't really like what you are buying, but you are buying it because it is the only skirt in the world that is actually long enough and mission appropriate. You won't really wear that skirt because it will remind you of the horrible time you had finding it. Only buy things you absolutely love because you will be wearing it for 1.5!

Remember not to buy anything too short (skirts need to be past the knees sitting and standing), too tight (Downeast shirts or shade shirts are too tight, although they do work nicely to help increase modesty!) or too long (those really cute and fashionable maxi dresses/skirts need to be hemmed.)

Just remember to KISS
Keep
It
Simple
Silly!

Well I think maybe I should include some of my mission pictures... :)




See 1 green shirt + 3 skirts= 3 fabulous choices!

Oh and these lovely photos are thanks to Uniquely Rae Photography! She is absolutely FABULOUS!! Seriously check her out at http://urphoto.tumblr.com!

GOOD LUCK!

Love,
Afton Michelle

p.s. If you have any questions just leave a comment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment