background

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Southern Hospitality (week 8)

So this week has been pretty great but I have some items of business to get to!

1. P-day is tuesday because transfers are tomorrow.
2. You can send me letters now, I will be staying here another 6 weeks with my awesome companion!! :)

So Back to my week...
This week we were treated to many different and truly southern foods like...
Grits (not too bad with some sugar, like cream of wheat)
Corn Bread (YUM!)
Collard greens (yuck)
Fried okra
black eyed peas
fried green tomatoes
and...
ALLIGATOR!!!

Yup ladies and gentlemen I ate alligator. It's consistency was really chewy and it didn't taste much different then chicken, though I would not order it off a menu for a whole meal.

Now we didn't eat all this in one sitting. I think it was pretty interesting.

Another thing about the south is Mam and sir, everyone says it... "yes mam, no sir" so me and my companion are going to work on using it in our vocabulary more this week.

Funny stories so far...
so we go running in the mornings and one morning a guy on a bike almost ran me over, so I had to run in the grass. Remember how once I said that everyone and their dog has a dog? Well this became very evident when I stepped in something a dog leaves behind. 

Also that morning (or at least I think it was that morning) we were running when a football in the bush started running away. I was really surprised to see a football with legs and then it hit me that it was actually an armadillo.... they are weird.

Well I think I'm going to have a bad reputation here... One night we were eating at a members house, one of the little girls was telling me about a lizard with a blue tale. Someone already told us about those lizards, and we have even seen one! I got so excited and tried to recall what the lizard was called. I was also trying to beat my companion to the punch so out of my mouth popped the work SKANK ... I meant Skink... oh no... my companion tried to cover my mouth but it was too late, it was already out there. Luckily for me the youngest was 12 and everyone else thought it was pretty funny. I'm still dreading a phone call from the bishop or the mission president telling me that those words are not appropriate for our mission. :/ Woops!

Also I got asked if I was a nun... NOPE.




Well now on to the wonderful work...

We are teaching a guy named mike, his girlfriend was a less active... I think I mentioned him before. 
Any way...
After many prayers his girlfriend just got hired at the county health department, which is amazing because she can work more, make more, and doesn't have to  work on SUNDAYS!!! :) ( I never realized how much I appreciated things being closed on sundays until they weren't)
We were so excited for her, he was making fun of us for all being so excited though, he thought it was a coincidence, we knew better! :)
He is going to pray out loud this week. We have been meeting with him twice a week and is already understanding so much more! I really hope that he can realize how big of a blessing it would be for him to hold the priesthood.

Another miracle this week...

We got a referral to go and talk to an owner of a second hand store, so we did. We met with them and began talking, the lady told us her daughter had passed away two years ago and was still really having a rough time with that. She left us for a moment because she was embarassed to cry in front of us. During that time her husband confided that she has had suicidal thoughts but the only thing that has kept her from that is thinking God does not look lightly upon those who take their own lives. She came back, we talked some more, and gave her a plan of salvation pamplet along with a picture of the temple and told her we would love to talk to her some more about it. She said sure and gave us her phone number. Then she told us...
I almost joined your church a while ago...
 WHAT?!?! 
The only thing that held her back was smoking... me and my companion thought, "well if that's the only hang up that's no problem at all!" 
So hopefully this time God has really prepared her and she is ready to find the peace and happiness she is searching for in her life.

Ya know sometimes things are hard in life, or in missionary work, but Heavenly Father gives us trials so we can become stronger. I KNOW HE IS WATCHING OVER EACH AND EVERY ONE OF US!!

I hope that all of your weeks are going just splendid! :)
I love ya'll!
Love,
Sister Chambers

No comments:

Post a Comment