background

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Amelia Arrival

This is how our birth story goes 
5:45 wake up having contractions 5 mins apart. 
6:15 wake husband up and tell him.
Double check hospital bag.
Husband asks if I'm sure I'm in labor because I'm "way too calm."

I guess I was calm because I knew she was finally coming, it wasn't a guessing game anymore.

7:00 get to hospital. Register, answer a billion questions, monitor to check progress.
8:30 discharged due to not progressing enough.

Went on a 3 mile walk.
Went to the store for some pants, and got lunch.

I labored for a few hours more befor finally going back to the hospital at 6 and being admitted at 7.

After 3 hours I started to not progress very well and around 10 the dr broke my water, which brought a lot of relief to me.

Around 2 I received and epidural.
It was slightly disappointing, but I wasn't progressing very well and the nurses thought it could be due to the stress I was under from the pain.
I cried while making this decision because I wanted to have a natural delivery, and the thought of an epidural scared me. 
I'm not a fan of needles.

I progressed for another little while and then plateaued once again.
This time they gave me pitocin. 
I was strongly against pitocin in the beginning due to the fact that it makes contractions harder and faster and that would lead to en epidural.
Since I already had the epidural, might as well have the pitocin.

After that point things moved along very quickly and at about 6:25 it was time to push.
They couldn't get the doctor there quick enough for me. I felt the need to push.
The doctor was still putting on the paper gown and gloves when I started to push.

It didn't take long as I was determined to get my baby girl here.

At 6:41 Our Amelia Jane decided she was ready to meet us.
She weighed 7 lbs 10 oz and was 18.5 inches long.


I'll be honest, being pregnant wasn't my jam, laboring for 24 plus hours was not my idea of fun. Giving birth, however, the part that I was most concerned about, ended up being my favorite part.

Maybe it's the pent up anticipation, the relief of pressure, but I think there is more to it.
It's a very spiritual moment, you are experiencing a moment that God has given you, a moment that in a split second your capacity to love and feel has increased.

We have these moments in our lives but usually they take longer periods of time. As I met and got to know my husband it took many years to develope the love I have for him (we met in middle school).
The love I have for my baby was over powering and instantaneous.

It was also amazing how quickly my love for my husband grew in that moment too. I realized that my love for him increased my love for her, and the more I loved her the more I loved him.

Because of that feeling I'm excited to have more children. 
I'm excited to increase my capacity for love. I'm excited to create and feel so connected with my heavenly parents.

Being this girls mamma is my favorite thing to be.

I'm excited to watch her life unfold, I know we will have our ups and our downs but I know me and my husband will always be there for her with our hands up and ready to enjoy the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment