background

Monday, July 22, 2013

Week 2

So Here I am, second week in the MTC and I leave tomorrow morning to Florida!!!
We leave the MTC at 3:30 in the morning to head to Salt Lake airport.  Our Plane leaves at 7:08... we think.
This past week just flew by us! We had a devotional on Tuesday night with President Hinkleys Son and his wife,
they were pretty awesome, something that stood out to me was "at the end of your mission don't be the one saying
I wish I had, be the one that said I'M GLAD I DID!"
On Wednesday we had classes and taught an "investigator" she may really have been an investigator or someone
who had just volunteered to help us, either way it was really awesome! She was catholic, her husband Mormon and they had been attending both meetings on Sundays. She had some questions about our religion. We went over the articles of faith with her to give her a more solid outline of what we believe in. We also read JSH about the first vision and left a book of Mormon with her, inviting her to read the introduction. She was really cool.
Our other investigator that we taught (who was really our teacher) said that he would be baptized!! Then we found out that our teachers act like real people from their missions that they were close with, and they then tell us the real back story to that person. My teacher served in the D.C south mission (even in the woodbridge ward!!! I don't know if that was our ward or what not.) Any way the name of the investigator was Andre, but it really turned out to be Audrey, he changed the gender of the investigator and was very tricky! She was baptized and she is actually going to be serving a mission to Washington state in September!! AWESOME!
On Thursday we had in field orientation. It lasted all day long but it was pretty cool. We did different activities and practiced different things like handing out pass-along cards, explaining the BOM in 5 mins or less, and watched a lot of movies from different general authorities.
On Friday we had more class, taught more investigators, it was awesome.
On Saturday we taught a girl who is from California, she came to spend some time with her grandma who is a member and told her she should come learn some more about our church. We talked about the restoration. the book of Mormon, baptism by proper authority, and invited her to baptism with the proper priesthood authority. She said she would have to read the book of Mormon before she could commit to baptism but she really liked what we had to say. She even said the prayer at the end of our meeting!!! It was BOMB!
Sunday we went to a bajillion meetings. Music and the spoken word was really cool, they had a hip hop violinist, can't remember her name but she rocked!
Every week everyone is asked to write about a 5 min talk about a specific topic. Last week was baptism, this week was the Holy Ghost. We don't know who is actually giving the talk until it is announced at the pulpit. On Saturday I had the feeling that it was going to be me. GUESS WHO WAS RIGHT! So I gave a talk. It WAS only supposed to be 5 minutes, and I only wrote brief bullet points I wanted to cover, but the talk ended up being 12 minutes, and everyone was thankful because the leaders who give ten ish minute talks at the end couldn't make it. The branch president would have called on more people to talk if it wasn't for me saving the day.
So I hear many Elder Pritchett stories because my Hermanas ( three girls me and my companion share a room with) are in his district. Apparently one day this week they were sitting at a different table across from us. You see Elder Pritchett has a thing for long curly hair, like an obsession really. My hair was down and curly this day and the Hermanas asked him if he liked my hair. He did, A LOT! They asked him if he recognized who I was, apparently my head was turned and he said he didn't know, then I turned around and they were like that is Sister Chambers. Then he blushed a little and got a little awkward. OH how I love awkwardness!
A Dad of one of the sisters in my zone mailed her some leggos and fruit loops. She had no idea why, but we decided to make the best of it. We made a video of the first vision according to leggos, and it was pretty epic.
I have a joke of the day everyday here and the Elders don't really think my jokes are funny, but the sisters just absolutely love them. I think I just might tell gender specific jokes. The Elders say that I'm corney and cheesey. 
It looks like my time is running short for now. I may be able to write more while I'm doing laundry tonight, but I guess we shall see!
Love ya ALL!
Love,
Sister Chambers!

No comments:

Post a Comment